Research in the Interdisciplinary Laboratory Image Knowledge Gestaltung is organised in priority areas. For each priority area, a postdoc priority area leader is appointed, who leads the priority area in collaboration with the Principal Investigators (PIs). Leaders are charged with the following central tasks:
- Developing innovation perspectives by generating new objects of study and themes for examination;
- Facilitating an assessment of the current status of Excellence Cluster research and research results relating to the priority;
- Consolidating and bringing together research achievements and themes;
- Spearheading applications for additional external funding for Excellence Cluster research (up to 2017 and beyond); and
- Formulating specific funding criteria with respect to research projects for their priority area.